Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thai Orchid

OK, here is my first review of an old favorite. And I do mean FAVORITE. I love this place! The first thing that sets this place apart are the people. I remember the first time my dad and I (the old man is also a huge Thai fan) went to eat there. It is easy to miss, settled in a Holladay parking lot right next to a pet store, and just across from Snider's Meats. We were immediately greeted by a very sweet and very excited owner, Sue. She took great care to make sure we were tended to and asked all kinds of questions so about us and about what kind of food we liked. I got the same feeling as when I would visit one of my grandmothers, who would proceed to make a big fuss, say I looked hungry, and immediately whip something wonderful up from the kitchen.

After a great meal we returned about three weeks later to find that Sue, still excited, remembered our names and what we had ordered last time, even remembering our preference for extra sauce with our curry. How many places have you ever eaten where you get treated like family after 1 visit? Needless to say we soon became regulars. Every visit the same excitement, the same personal attention, and the same great food. When one of us was absent, there was always an inquiry into where they were and how they were doing. Life, however, can be cruel at times, and I am very sorry to report that Sue lost a long battle with cancer earlier this year. A nicer and more genuine person you could never find, and even though the food has always been good enough to stand on its own, she always made sure that we kept wanting to come back because it just felt like home.

Her nephew, always a stalwart back in the kitchen, has decided that the best way to honor her memory is to keep the place going, so after a brief closure to take Sue back to Thailand, he has returned and I am happy to report that the food, and the personal attention (now given by said nephew) are just as good as they have always been.

Were I not so attached to the other aspects of this place, I would still call it the best Thai food in Salt Lake, because it is. First thing to know about my Thai preferences: Curry, curry, curry. If the curry isn't good, I won't be returning. This is what shines the brightest at Thai Orchid. Although I like all curries, my favorite is Panang, and this place has the BEST Panang I have ever had, in state or out. Fiery enough to satisy the palette of many a spice-hound, it is wonderfully balanced with the perfect amount of coconut milk, kaffir leaf, and about 20 other flavors that all seem to hit the tongue simultaneously in a triumphant symphony that I often find in my better dreams. The chicken (I always get chicken but of course all the standard meats are available) is thinly sliced, all-white, and tender, and the pillowy rice makes a perfect mixing platform for that wonderful sauce. Other curries shine just as brightly, especially the Yellow (my sister's personal fave).

Other dishes on the menu fall in line - but not too far - behind the curry. Pad Thai, the most popular Thai dish, is good. I've had better at a few places, but it is certainly nothing to complain about. Nice and solid. Pad Gra Prow, a stir-fry dish with veggies and meat (I usually go pork here) in a spicy garlic basil sauce, almost always finds its way to my plate. Like the curry, let the rice soak it up. Mmmmmm. Not in the mood for Pad Thai but still want some noodles? Try Pad Woon Sen - aka glass noodles. Popping with flavor, Thai Orchid does a great version of this dish. Appetizers are nice here as well, especially the calamari and the satay, the latter coming with great versions of the traditional spicy peanut and cumcumber sauces. To top it off, Thai dessert staple Sweet Sticky Rice is done very well here, and is served with Mangoes (they will steer you away from these if not tasty and in season, another personal touch) or Thai Custard which is my favorite seeing as mangoes are one of the few foods I do not enjoy. If you have never had this dessert, you are missing out. It is fantastic!

So, in review: Great people, to-die-for curry, and a good menu of compliments. What more do you need? Knowing my afifnity for Thai food, my friends are constantly suggesting other places, and while I've found some good spots, nothing beats Thai Orchid. (Note: I have trips to two new Thai restaurants planned in the coming weeks. I'll post em when I try em!)

2 comments:

  1. This is also a fav of the fam and when the lady that runs it passed away we thought that it might not keep going but went there Saturday night and great as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Sue. And it IS the best Thai food I have ever tasted - or ever will.

    ReplyDelete