Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Denver

Well, I am having a rare but not unheard of sleepless night thus far, so what better way to pass the time until I get tired?
Denver is one of my favorite places. I almost moved there - I would like to thank Sara for keeping me in Utah :) - and I am a huge Broncos fan. Plus it's less than a day's drive. Denver reminds me a lot of Salt Lake not only in geography and outdoor recreation, but the cleanliness of the outlying areas, the nice people, and of course the fantastic food:

Toast - My favorite breakfast spot is in Littleton, and it is a can't miss if you are in the area. Huge portions, relaxed coffee-house feel, and great people running the joint. I have been there twice and have not been able to finish my meal either time. Quite a shame for food this good to go to waste, but as I said, those portions! Start with the pancakes: varieties like Cheesecake, Bananas Foster, Lemon Blueberry, and Carrot Cake. Something for everybody here and good enough to be named denver's best in 2008 and 2009. Then there's my fave, Santa Fe French Toast. Described thusly: "Thick cut toast stuffed with egg, chorizo, green chilies, mixed cheese, topped with queso anejo, pico de gallo, avocado sauce, and our smoked chili sour cream." OMG! The breakfast burrito, which really should be called burro for those who understand Spanish, is also incredile. Check out the menu on their website and try not to salivate on your keyboard - www.toastygoodness.com

Lime - Disclaimer: do not go to Lime if you do not want to get a little wild. A few locations, but you HAVE to go to the downtown one in the famed LoDo district. This is mexican food with a twist. Do's: Fajitas, Sweet Corn Tamales, and Huevos Rancheros. All excellent food. Do Not's: Scorpions. These spicy jalapeno chipotle cheese stuffed flash fried jumbo shrimp (whew!) sound delicious but were very disappointing. Bonus to this place for choosing not to ignore chips and salsa, which are mighty good here. But that, folks, is only half the story. You see, Lime's trademark is to bring a complimentary plate of Limes, sliced in half, and filled with Tequila. And at 4 Lime "shooters" per person, things can get rowdy pretty quick. Not to worry though, this place comes complete with a dance floor that just kinds of sprouts up all of a sudden, along with some of the most delectable looking, um, dishes that Denver has to offer. For those pansies with a tamer side, the same food (and Limes) can be enjoyed South of the city in Greenwood Village without the hoppin atmosphere. But then again, did you really go to Denver to play it safe?

Fado - Is there a trend here? What the heck is up with the one-word restaurants? I thought pretentious people only lived in Aspen? Hey, I just eat and review. Tough life. This place is actually a national chain that has not seen fit to come to Utah. I attended the downtown location, in the shadows of Coors field. Neat decor in this place, which advertises, and delivers, itself as an Irish pub with great food. After a nice smoked salmon appetizer my dining companion and I each ordered Boxty, an Irish specialty consisting of various fillings wrapped inside a gingantic potato pancake and covered in sauce. I had the steak boxty with sauteed mushrooms and onions with a whiskey garlic sauce, while big sis opted for the traditional corned beef and cabbage in a creamy mustard sauce. If I could find boxty as good as either of these around here I would paint myself green and dance a jig. Delicious! A glass of Bushmill's 16 was the perfect ending to a tasty meal. Oh, and if you're in the mood for a little revilry, check out Sing Sing, a dueling piano bar right next to the restaurant sure to offer some late-night fun.

U.S. Thai - West of downtown in a run-down kind of neighborhood. That neighborhood where you know everything is authentic because you feel like you have been transported into 10 different countries depending on which door you go in. Little place, simple and nondescript, and very good. Lots of spice and lots of flavor, I would rate it just below some of my all-time favorites, but not by much. Maybe not worth going all the way across town for, but definitely worth the time if you are near the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment