Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bellissimo Gelato


We had a great picnic at the park for dinner today and afterward decided to check out a gelato place in Murray we have heard about: Bellissimo Gelato. It's in a strip mall on 700 E. right by Sports Authority. I have developed a new love for gelato, an Italian dessert which differs from ice cream in three ways: 1. It has less butterfat than ice cream (a little under 10% compared to 25-30%) resulting in less fat overall. 2. It is denser than ice cream, meaning that serving sizes are usually smaller because it will fill you sooner. 3. It is slightly warmer than ice cream due to a different freezing point, so when you eat it it feels like it just melts in your mouth. I have found that good gelato has better flavor than ice cream does, which dispels the traditional thought that fat adds flavor. I wouldn't call gelato healthy per se, but if you are craving a frozen treat it is a better alternative for your waistline than ice cream.
The place was pretty packed when we went in and it was easy to see why. They must have had 40 flavors of the stuff in there! The special flavor of the night was marshmallow, which my wife decided to pair with chocolate - they will gladly fix you a half and half serving if you are indecisive. They were both very good, but amazing when eaten together. I opted for Donatella, which is chocolate-hazelnut, and cheesecake. The Donatella was amazing. I will definitely get it next time. The cheesecake flavor was bland and disappointing, and I regretted not getting the coconut flavor that I was considering instead. All in all, a good place. And the ladies behind the counter were really friendly and happy to boot. I think I'll be back pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment