Sunday, August 23, 2009

The stars at night are big and bright....


OK, maybe I've seen Pee Wee's Big Adventure too many times, but if you finished that line in your head - or better yet out loud - you know we are talking about Texas. I'll be up front, I don't care too much for Texas in general. I really don't see what the locals think is so neat about this place. Not saying it sucks, I just don't get the big deal...except...if they are talking about the food! I think the saying that "Everything's bigger in Texas" is a direct reference to the size of people's waistlines. Cause, damn, these folks can eat. I present for my case three cities as evidence of culinary triumph.

San Antonio

This happens to be my favorite Texas city. It's pretty, it's remarkably clean in that almost creepy way that people think of Salt Lake, and there's lots to do. Plus, the people are really nice. Oh, and this is going to sound weird but I love the freeway system. Real easy to get around. I had two outstanding meals here. I'm talking all-time fave neighborhood. Here goes!

Rudy's Country Store

This place is actually spread across three states now, but the original in S.A. is where we ventured. This is the way BBQ should be: unpretentious, ordered by the pound, and uncomplicated by any of the other "restaurant stuff" that doesn't make the food taste any better anyway. It is ALL about the food here. Everybody is lined up in what looks like a big red barn, waiting to place their order at a meat counter behind which smoky, seductive smells tease the senses. One word of advice: go here with a friend (or 20) so that you can try everything, becuase everything is good, but there is no way you can get it all on one plate when the smallest serving size is a half pound. Brisket, THE Texas specialty, Turkey, Pork Loin, Chopped Beef, Baby Backs, Chicken, Hot Link. We came, we saw, we conquered. We tried them all, and loved them all. I'll put this as a tie for #2 on the all-time BBQ cuisine I have had, and I have had a lot (more on the other #2 later...I'll keep you in suspense on #1 for a while). I think the sides were good, I don't remember. The BBQ, which we ate on cheap tables covered in butcher paper, was just too good to leave room in my memory for anything else.

La Fogata

Neat place, great patio dining if you want it but the inside is cool too. This review will be short but sweet. Basically, I know three things: 1. The food was utterly fantastic. 2. Since we followed our host's suggestion and ordered some of the more unique items on the menu, I cannot tell you exaclty what is was that we ate. Seriously, it was different but it was spicy and amazing. 3. They have the best Magarita I have ever had. Ever. It's one of those dangerous drinks that sneaks up on you because it is so smooth that you swear there is no alcohol in the thing, until...well, you get the idea. Rumors that this has anything to do with my memory loss on what we ate have been greatly exaggerated. Just let them suggest the dishes for you, sit back and sip on one of those delicious Margaritas, and enjoy a great night!

Non-food related tip: Whilst enjoying the Riverwalk, a must if you go to S.A., poke your head in to Howl At The Moon, a rockin' duel piano bar that can best be described as a just barely under control party. Good times.

Dallas/Ft. Worth

Two cities right next to each other so there's bound to be some good food. I have actually found that Fort Worth is the better culinary destination. Here are a few highlights:

Pappasito's

I am going to save a full review for Houston since that is the first place that I encountered Pappasito's. Just take note that there is one in Fort Worth

Angelo's

The (not so)long wait is over! This is the aforementioned "tie for #2 BBQ" with Rudy's. I'm still not revealing #1 yet but will tell you it is not in Texas. Like Rudy's, this place is unapologetically unpretentious. Low light, meat counter style ordering, styrofoam and paper containers, and butcher paper on the tables. Also like Rudy's, it is easy on the wallet. Each meal comes with the following: Sauce, beans, potato salad, cole slaw, pickle, onion, bread. All are good, with extra points to the tasty pickle and the bread for its excellence as a sauce delivery device. First bit of advice here is to GET THE TURKEY. BBQ turkey has become one of my favorite foods, and Angelo's should be lauded for its ability to get the least traditional and least naturally flavorful meat to its position at the top of the menu. It's the best BBQ turkey I have ever tasted. After the turkey, order everything else, because everything is good. Delicious smoky goodness. The only problem is stopping before you explode, cause you're not going to want to.

Cafe N'Awlins

You may notice that this is the first Cajun restaurant reveiwed on this blog. That is not for a lack of interest in the cuisine. It's simply, and sadly, a statement of how few good cajun restaurants there are in the places I have been too. Most disappointing is that the lack of these fantastic eateries extends to Salt Lake, where I am sad to report I have never really found a Cajun place worth mentioning to others.
This place, on the other hand, IS worth mentioning. We started with a shared appetizer of fried seafood and moved on to Jambalya. Both were outstanding. We sampled some other fare as well and found the etouffee, often the measuring stick for how truly great a cajun chef knows his stuff, to be very good. Red Beans and Rice were a perfect compliment to good Blackened Catfish as well. One of the nice things about the three other people I was with is that we are all food-sharers. Life is too short to dine with people who won't share their food. After all, how else is one supposed to sample all of life's delicious dishes if he has to order them all himself? I would have long since seen the better side of 300 pounds were that the case!
Anyhow, we decided that no visit to a place calling itself "N'Awlins" would be complete without a few pounds of crawfish. So, we ordered 3 pounds...and then another 3 pounds. They were so good we would have ordered more had our stomachs been able to expand further! After all of the head and tail sucking was completed and our appetites thoroughly satiated we decided to call it a day with some excellent beverages. Should I find myself in Dallas again those beautiful little crawfish will be calling my name...ahhhhhhhhh.

Houston
Pappasito's

OK, I've mentioned this place a couple of times. Once in my Best Of section and once in this posting. Strange that I would be so fond of this place seeing as how its a pretty big chain and there are other places that get better reviews. Then again, my tastebuds say to hell with that logic, it's really good food! The fajitas are heavenly. Get the combo, because the chicken and steak are equally moist, tender, and melt in your mouth delicious. Veggies and accompaniments are very good, as are the fresh-made tortillas (I prefer corn myself). Finally, use plenty of the warm butter sauce that comes with them, it ties the dish together. If I had to choose one dish only to have for the rest of my life these would merit serious consideration. But, not a fajita fan? That's OK, we all have our own little problems. And not to worry, there is plenty else here to tantalize your tastebuds. Ceviche, one of my favorite reasons to eat anywhere near the gulf coast, is primo here. If you are unfamiliar with Ceviche, it is a dish where the seafood has been "cooked" by letting it simply marinate in lemon or lime juice. Pappasito's version comes with shrimp, scallops, and fish marinted with lemon, lime, and cilantro, and finished off with avocado. The perfect, refreshing way to beat the Texas heat, not to mention the perfect starter to a meal. I've tried a few other dishes and nothing disappoints. The food is a hair pricier than standard Mexican fare. But then again, there is nothing standard about this place, including the relaxing cantina-style setting which makes you almost think that you are in one of those Corona commericals. Trust me, it is WAY worth an extra buck or two to eat here.

Ninfa's

When my travels take me on a return trip to Houston, I had better have enough time to eat at least two meals. That's because not only do I refuse to miss the chance for Pappasito's Fajitas, but I equally refuse to miss a return visit to this place. We were in Houston to watch an NFL game featuring a large friend, whom we took out to dinner that night (the night before the game). He wanted Mexican and, having already visited Pappa's on the trip, we opted for somewhere different. Thankfully the concierge at the hotel was knowledgable on the local scene and, once he understood we were foodies, told us we would be foolish not to try this place just off the beaten path from downtown. I almost laughed when the valet attendant approached our car, because there could hardly be a less-likely place to find valet service. This place is a hole in the wall. It was also packed, so we knew we may be in for something good. This is the original Ninfa's, which I was told makes all the difference. Inside I found it to be cramped, noisy, and aromatic, not in the least due to the enormous tortilla-making operation going on to your left as you enter.
Our guest, who is shy and would much rather be anonymous, was nonetheless recognized by a few people, who were brave enough to come say hi but also nice enough to let him enjoy his dinner without constant hounding. This was probably made easier by the fact that he played for the visiting team, not the Texans. Follwing an excellent Shrimp and Halibut Ceviche, we proceeded to order. I was thrilled to find Cochinita Pibil on the menu (third time for those who have been counting!) and my decision was easy to make. The other two were more indecisive so our server, who seemed so genuinely excited to be serving us, suggested Mixtas. These are basically HUGE combination plates. Now, I can eat, but I was out of my league on this night. The Sage ordered Mixta Rio Grande, which consisted of Shrimp, Fajitas, and Carnitas. Not to be outdone, our large friend began stocking up energy for the next day's game by ordering the Parilla Mixta, which contains Fajitas, Carnitas, Ribs, Shrimp, and Chile Relleno. It is an order meant to serve two. He polished it off...by himself!
Quick food report: Pibil - heavenly, as always :) Shrimp, Fajitas, Carnitas, Ribs, Relleno - All fantastic. This place rivals the very best Mexican food I have ever had. Everything was amazing, and our waiter is one of my all-time memorable people. What a hoot this guy was! We got pictures with him at the end of the night and it didn't even seem weird. Just a nice, fun guy to have for a server. I think he knew our guest was someone important, but had no idea why and yet had this giddy attitude that came off as innocent and charming, which is sometimes easier to do when you don't speak much English and have very little idea what the game of football even is. This is one of my favorite meals. The combination of great food, great service, and great times with people you care about is pretty hard to beat.
As a side note, our friend had an interception and helped lead his team to victory with a great game, but all he wanted to talk about after the game (I could not make this up if I tried) is the place we ate the night before! How's that for an endorsement?

Kenny & Ziggy's Deli

Good enough that we had two meals there...on the same day! We woke up on game day and headed out of our hotel to grab some breakfast. New York-Style delis are nice to find because besides having great sandwiches they usually also serve a mean breakfast. Breakfast was good. I mean, I've had better but were we in the Houston area together I would feel fine about taking you here for some early morning grub. We then decided that the lunch menu looked so good that we ought to take a to-go order for lunch instead of paying ridiculous prices at the stadium. I cannot tell you the exact name of the order since my computer freezes up every time I try to pull up the online menu, but I can tell you that they were double-decker sandwiches of Pastrami and Corned Beef and that I could not fit a whole bite in my mouth because they were so big (see the actual picture at the top of this posting). We were barely able to finish these delicious sandwiches in the car before the game due to their immensity, which was good since they needed to keep us full for an entire NFL game. We need a place like this in Utah.

All in all, a very tasty state. I think I gained weight just writing about the food. Um, I'm gonna go for a jog.

1 comment:

  1. #1 BBQ in my book is Gates BBQ in KC. The hot BBQ sauce is unreal. I ship it to my house in bulk. And it is one of the main reasons that I get invited over to other people house for BBQ's. "We would love to have you come... Can you bring your sauce?" At least I know where I stand. SO what is your #1?

    ReplyDelete