Monday, August 10, 2009

First Top Places list

I'll review some of these places in more detail later, but for now I thought it would be a good idea to put a quick, handy reference in answer to the question I most often get asked (and yes, I am THAT GUY among my friends) - what are some of your favorite places to eat? I'll start with Salt Lake now. Other cities to come.

Top Thai (my favorite food!)
1. Thai Orchid [Holladay - do not confuse this with Orchid Thai in Sandy, which has TERRIBLE food, but good tapioca drinks] **Review posted!**
2. Chanon Thai [900 S. - SPICY!]
3. Thai Delight [West side just off Bangerter, always solid]

I have one word for places like Bangkok Thai, Pawit's, and Thaifoon (which is more asian fusion than Thai)....OVERPRICED!!!

Top Sushi
1. Sushi In-Joy [Midvale] **Review coming soon**
So good, it's the only place I go anymore for sushi

Top Mexican
1. Red Iguana [West of downtown] Duh! Like you can put any other place at the top of SLC Mexican. **Review coming soon of my favorite dishes**
2. Tarahumara [Midway] **Review coming soon, I'll just say it's definitely worth the drive**
3. La Calendria [Sandy, just north from Rio Tinto] This place has been renamed Loca Lizardz, kinda, cause it still says the old name also. Good little dive with big portions and more flavor than you would expect from food that looks deceivingly ordinary.

Top BBQ
1. Sugarhouse BBQ [umm...it's in Sugarhouse] **Review to come**
2. Holy Smoke BBQ & Grill [Layton] I'm trying to remember what I liked so much here. Everything is good, but I think I may have to make a return trip up here to refresh my memory! I do recall they have about 10 different sauces to try, always a plus :)
3. Goodwood [Draper] Nothing I'd recommend to out-of-towners, but consistently solid, especially the pulled pork sandwich. That said, we need a competitor in the valley for Sugarhouse. And the following do NOT fit the bill:
Q4U - why does eveyone make a big deal about this place, it is soooo average; Pat's - again, I don't get it. Just as overrated as Q4U, and I really wanted to like them both. Famous Dave's - good sauce, average meat; Rib City - maybe the worst BBQ I have ever had

Top Sandwiches
1. Moochie's [Downtown] **Review to come**
2. The Philadelphian [Sandy] Dirty place whose Cheesesteaks are the best I've ever had, which includes the famous joints in Philly and Moochie's, who gets the nod at #1 because ALL of their sandwiches are good. Get some onion rings here while you are at it. Big, fluffy, and homemade :)
3. Grove Market and Deli [Main street south of the baseball stadium] **Review to come**
4. Caputo's [Downtown] Hard to put this 4th, my wife will swear it should be #1. If you love Italian sandwiches this institution is your place. Great ingredients, amazing food and atmosphere...why is this not higher?
5. Joni's Deli [ South Salt Lake] Good Philly, even better Chicken Philly, good prices and nice people

...That's all for today, more lists and reviews to come soon!

2 comments:

  1. You have to add an Indian food section and Ganesh on about 950 East and 70th South is my favorite. It has a lunch buffet every day but Monday for about 9 bucks. Their Tikka Masala and Naan bread are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indian is soon to come! Ganesh is good, probably my second favorite. Tune in to see who beat it out!

    ReplyDelete