Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Splurge me! (Version 1.0)


As I was writing about a couple of the nicer places in Vegas, it dawned on me that some of the reading population may want some ideas on where to go for a special night out. So, in this post we will be diverting from our stated mission of "champagne on a beer budget" as it were, and instead taking a look at some places where you, and your wallet, can get a little uppity! I'll preface this by saying that I am not a wealthy man, so there are plenty of pricey places that I have not had the privilege to venture to, but I have managed to sneak out for the occassional flirtation with the better life :)
Chimayo

There are lots of great places to eat in Park City, many of them splurges. This one tops the list for me, though. Right on Main Street, it's a casual sort of eatery with its western decor and (over)use of wrought iron. This is my wife's favorite place to eat in Utah, so I scored big points by taking her here on her brithday when we were merely a young couple in love...I think we had been engaged for a month and a half, actually, so I had to cement the deal before she changed her mind!
Chimayo offers Southwestern Cuisine prepared simply but elegantly, although perhaps a little different than most Southwestern places you may have been to. That's because they put a little French-American flair into the presentations, and it works wonderfully! I'm a sucker for Ceviche, and theirs is made with scallops, fish, and shrimp and is magical. Not a fish person? Try the Sugarcan Skewer of Elk, you will not be disappointed. The appetizers are as rich in variety as they are in taste and offer the perfect start to your meal. We skipped the salad, although the Stuffed Avocado with Marinated Vegetables has always looked awful tempting to me. As you move toward the entrees, you will notice a London Broil of Elk - pictured above. Get it! This is the best thing on the menu. London Broil is always tricky because (and you know this if you have cooked one) it must be sliced properly. Slice it against the grain and it will melt in your mouth. Go with the grain and you will find that you wasted your money on a tough, chewy piece of meat. The reason for this is that as you go across the grain you sever the tough, chewy fibers in the meat. Luckily, the proper slicing of a London Broil is among the many culinary skills that the chefs at Chimayo seem to have little problem with. It comes medium rare with a nice pink center, and is laid out in thinly sliced medallions topped with a Green Chile Bernaise. This dish is ethereal, even for people who don't like elk. Just relax and savor, and chew it slowly. You will want to make this dish last! The grilled Buffalo Flank Steak is another amazing piece of meat, and is finished with a nice red chili sauce. Want seafood? No problem. Among their many offerings is Striped Bass, which is a version of Sea Bass. I first had the opportunity to sample it during the 2002 Olympics. I was working security for Visa at their hospitality suite, which had its own chef, a Canadian guy from New York. He made some Sea Bass, I tried it, I fell in love. That simple. The Bass at Chimayo does not disappoint. Rich, buttery, and flavorful. For dessert, I recommend the the Maple Creme Brulee, which is served with Walnut Shortbreads. As you might expect, they have an extensive wine list to boot. Fantastic restaurant, and well worth the high prices.

Fleming's

When I was researching a new truck, I talked to a lot of people and read a lot of reports. I test-drove the Dodge, Chevy, Ford, GMC, and Toyota. What I found was that regardless of which full-size truck I chose, I really couldn't go wrong. Splurging on a fine steak place is kind of the same way. If you go somewhere where the steaks are pricey, they will probably be pretty good. I have heard on several occasions that Spencer's has the finest steaks in Utah, but since I have not been there myself I will review somewhere that I have been.
We went here on our anniversary. It is a nice place inside, about what you would expect from a steak place. They have the open kitchen in the back - a look that is becoming more and more popular, as I alluded to in an earlier post. Our server was, again as you would expect, quite friendly and very knowledgable. Along with their steaks, Fleming's is also known for their wines. In fact, the complete name of the place is Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar. As such, your meal comes complete with an in-house sommelier, which I suggest you take advantage of if not a wine expert yourself as the wine list can be quite daunting. Upon selecting a beverage, mine suggested from the wine menu and hers a prickly pear margarita, we commenced to eatin'. I don't know why I went redneck right there, but I had to balance out the snooty feel of splurgy restaurants somehow!
My selection was the special, which was a Black n' Blue New York topped with Sea Scallops and a fantastic Bernaise Sauce. Absolutely outstanding. The steak was cooked to a perfect medium-rare (read: cut with a fork!) and the huge scallops were a perfect complement to the succulent meat. Soapbox moment: If you are serious about eating steak, don't ruin the dang piece of meat by getting it well-done! Here is a secret...all steaks taste the same when they are well-done. If you like your steaks that way, please save yourself the cost of an expensive steak and go home and burn a $1.99 steak from Wal-Mart on your own grill. You will not notice the difference! Medium-rare, or medium AT THE MOST, will bring out the full flavor of the steak and give you a moist, tender piece of meat. OK, I'm done. Anyway, the Blue Cheese just brought it all together perfectly. The wife opted for a Petite Filet that was buttery and delicious, and pretty decent sized for something called "petite". Like most high-end steak places, sides come separate. We opted for the Half-and-Half (shoestring potatoes and onion rings) and Grilled Asparagus. The sides were all good, but nothing noteworthy enough to require any further praise here. Creme Brulee for dessert topped off a terrific meal, soured only by our discovery that my wife is, in fact, allergic to prickly pear. Flushed face and upset stomach aside, the meal was still a success.

Aerie

OK, I am really going to have to jog my memory on this one, because the one and only time that I have been here was for Prom...in 1994!! Do not fear, though. I was a young, aspiring foodie and already developing an unhealthy obsession for the tastier side of life :)
This place is really nice, and its location at the top of the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird provides beautiful views of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Although the menu may have changed some, I do recall having the Filet, and I recall it being fantastic. Moist, tender, and perfect. After much straining, I will unfortunately report that I cannot for the life of me remember what my date had (sorry, K!), but I do recall her giving it an enthusiastic thumbs-up. Bottom line: We all liked it, we lived like high-rollers for a couple of hours, and I would not hesitate to go back there again.

Shallow Shaft

Another Little Cottonwood locale, this one at Alta. Unlike the Aerie, this is not part of a ski resort. It is a little wooden shack on the side of the road, which you must enter by walking up a "shallow shaft" of covered stairs. Once you are inside, you find a nice, small, intimate place. The views are fantastic and the food ain't too shabby either. The prices have come down, so this is not quite the "splurge" it once was. Unfortunately, the change in price brought a change in menu, and the best item was unceremoniously dropped. The pork medallions, complete with a raspberry demi-glace, were well worth the drive up the canyon all by themselves. They have to be among the ten best things I have ever tried. So, as mad as I am that they are no longer on the much-more-casual menu, I remain hopeful that the same culinary expertise applies to the rest of the remaining menu and will keep my fingers crossed until I find myself back up there again to make an accurate judgement. Benefit of the doubt? Maybe, but I'm an optimist. Now if you'll excuse me I will be calling the Shallow Shaft and threatening torture with a wet noodle until said medallions are re-instated.
...That's all for now, more to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment