Friday, September 4, 2009

Smashburger

This is the newest trendy burger place to pop up around these parts. A national chain making its way to Utah, it claims to have the best burgers you have ever tasted. The reason that they feel they can make this claim is because of the way they cook their meat. They smash (hence the name) a patty down and sear it, thereby locking in all of the juices and flavor before they have a chance to escape. The premise is sound, as I have found that a quick sear works well for me when cooking my own food.
The Sage and I decided that we would try it after watching some rugby nearby. Sure enough, we were assured by the cashier that this would be the best burger we had ever had. I was in a bit of a spicy mood, so I ordered the Spicy Baja with pepper jack, guac, chipotle mayo, jalapenos, and other fixins on a chipotle bun. The Sage opted to go a different route, ordering chicken (you guessed it, smashed and seared) with no bun. I also ordered some fantastic sounding rosemary, olive oil, and garlic fries.
The food came out with the speed you would expect from a semi-fast-food place, and we dug in. The Sage found his chicken to have very good flavor and he threw it down pretty quick. On the other hand, I found my burger to be quite unremarkable. It wasn't bad, but it didn't wow me either. The spicy condiments were fresh and tasty, and they were the stars of the dish. Too bad the meat couldn't keep up. The fries, however, were the biggest disappoinment. I could not make out any flavor of rosemary, olive oil, garlic, or anything else for that matter. These were just plain old, bland fries.
Needless to say, this place didn't really do anything for me. I'm not saying that it sucks. I mean, if I were Jonesing for a burger and it were the only place nearby, I would feel fine about going there knowing I would have a solid meal. But solid is about as good as it gets there, and there are at least 7-8 places in SLC that I would rather go to "get my burger on".

No comments:

Post a Comment