Friday, September 4, 2009

Beyond Glaze



In a perfect world, we could eat whatever we wanted and never get fat or unhealthy. And in that perfect world, I would eat donuts. I love donuts. They are quite possibly man's most perfect food, but that little guy with wings on my shoulder keeps me from indulging in them very often. Sometimes, though, the other guy, the one with the horns and pitchfork, needs some goodness. So when the Spicy Sicilian showed up with an unexpected treat from Beyond Glaze, he was giddy to say the least.


Beyond Glaze is a new gourmet donut place that has recently popped up just east of Riverton on 12300 S. They have several varieties, ranging from the sinfully decadent to the downright strange. SS had selected six: Strawberry Bliss, Cherry Chocolate, Bluberry Bliss, Grasshopper, S'mores, and Peanut Butter and Jelly (this is a real flavor!). All of these come with some very fancy decorative frosting on top of what turned out to be a very good, fluffy glazed donut.


I tried the PB&J first because, well, when you get a PB&J donut don't you HAVE to try it first? The owner said that this was his favorite donut but for me it was just...weird. The topping tasted like PB&J, and the donut tasted like a donut. That said, I am not convinced that they go together, but if you are curious at all it is worth a try! The S'mores and Grasshopper tasted like what you would expect, which is to say that they were delicious (the Grasshopper only so if you like mint). The Big 3, though, were (in ascending order) Cherry, Strawberry, Blueberry. They were magical, wonderful, magnificent, and any other word you would like to use. I think I have gained 5 pounds just thinking about them, but it was worth it. Especially the Bluberry. This thing is just sick. Best. Donut. Ever. Excuse me, but I have to go. I have a, uh, thing. In Draper. Just east of Riverton. You can come if you want, just don't expect me to share.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! When I drive by this place I have to hold on to the wheel tight so I won't veer off the road to the store!

    ReplyDelete